Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Skin Cleansers for Sensitive Skin

I've been a victim of bipolar (aka sensitive) skin since I was probably 12 years old. Since then I've constantly dealt with dry patches on my cheeks but crops of blackheads in my T-Zone and fighting both at the same time is hard!! As anybody with sensitive skin would know, you want a cleanser strong enough to eliminate those pimples but gentle enough to not recreate the sahara desert on your face. The sensitive skin face wash game is a tough one at that. But at one point I finally made my way  to a dermatologist appointment, in which I've tried multiple recommendations of hers that have done wonders.



Glytone is the face wash I'm currently using and have been using for about a year now. I feel like it gets the job done regarding cleaning out any bacteria build up, especially when I use it with my Clarisonic  (also recommended by my derm) 1 to 2 times a week. But i can use it on my usual dry areas and not worry about my face getting dry, red, and flakey. They have so many different formulas for so many different skin types. I personally use the Mild Gel Cleanser, it has glycolic acid to exfoliate dead skin and moisturize the skin at the same time. ($33)


Cerave face wash is probably the most gently wash I've found, also recommended by my derm when I first started seeing her. It's a great base, it won't dry out your skin or leave ti feeling tight at all, the only downside to it is that sometimes I feel like its not getting to the nitty gritty where I need it to. I'd def recommend for someone with little to no acne but just super dry skin. I still use their daily moisturizer every day after my Glytone wash. They have a  foaming cleanser that I have yet to try that may be a bit better, but I specifically avoid "foamy" cleansers just because of past experience with it drying out my skin. ($10)


Avene was most recently recommended to me by my derm during one of my usual breakouts. I used it for a couple days and brought a travel size one with me during a recent trip. I found that my breakouts cleared up, but my only regret was using it on sensitive parts of my face, like cheeks and jaw, that normally get dry. It completely dried up my cheeks and I had to recover by coating my face in Aquaphor twice a day for almost a week. I would suggest either spot treatment with this face wash or for those with generally acne prone skin looking for something a little more gentle than Proactiv or something. Either way it cleared up my breakout but definitely not the most gentle on drier skin.
($20)
SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Caffeinated Collegiate
Maira Gall